[Catalyst] Maxipoint Spam

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Thu Apr 6 18:17:51 CEST 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 9:03 AM, Bernhard Graf wrote:

> On Thursday 06 April 2006 17:42, Matt S Trout wrote:
>> Matt S Trout wrote:
>>>
>>> <abuse at siriuswebhosting.com>:
>>> 83.138.166.98 does not like recipient.
>>> Remote host said: 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name.
>>> (#5.7.17) Giving up on 83.138.166.98.
>>
>> Reported to siriuswebhosting via their contact form and to nac.net,
>> who own the IP block.
>
> Or simply get a SpamCop account, because SpamCop does all this for
> you.
> In addition SpamCop offers an RBL for your MTA (I wouldn't use it, but
> others do, that's why some providers take SpamCop reports seriously).

Wildly OT at this point, but if you're going to report spam, report
it manually.

A lot of spamcop reports are frivolous or mistargeted. The accuracy
of them
varies depending on the recipient ISP - they're OK for simple DSL
providers,
but tend to be quite inaccurate at webhosts or bandwidth providers.
They're
also so badly mangled by the spamcop system that they're not usable for
enforcement. The most ISPs tend to do is to count them.

A single manual report will often be worth dozens of spamcop reports and
will usually get much more attention.

Cheers,
   Steve