[Catalyst] Maxipoint Spam

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Apr 6 18:31:38 CEST 2006

FWIW:

  I just received the spam myself.  I am adding these folks to my local
filters.

Steve Atkins wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2006, at 9:03 AM, Bernhard Graf wrote:

[...]

> Wildly OT at this point, but if you're going to report spam, report
> it manually.
>
> A lot of spamcop reports are frivolous or mistargeted. The accuracy
> of them
> varies depending on the recipient ISP - they're OK for simple DSL
> providers,
> but tend to be quite inaccurate at webhosts or bandwidth providers.
> They're
> also so badly mangled by the spamcop system that they're not usable for
> enforcement. The most ISPs tend to do is to count them.
>
> A single manual report will often be worth dozens of spamcop reports and
> will usually get much more attention.

<rant>

Not meaning to start an OT religious war or anything like that, but
having been caught as collateral damage several times by overaggressive
RBLs, and those with personal vendettas against our ISPs, we have taken
the road of eliminating all RBL usage/reporting.  We advise/assist all
of our customers to do the same.  Basically RBLs are completely ad-hoc,
there really are no standards across them, and patronizing them only
encourages them.  You don't quite appreciate the (extremely) anti-RBL
views until you get caught as collateral damage (several times) when
some bozo decides to block everything from an ISP regardless whether it
is business or home user.  Greylisting, content based filtering do a
much better/more accurate job.  YMMV, but I am strongly against using RBLs

</rant>

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615