[Catalyst] Maxipoint Spam

Bernhard Graf catalyst at augensalat.de
Thu Apr 6 19:12:22 CEST 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 18:17, Steve Atkins wrote:

> Wildly OT at this point, but if you're going to report spam, report
> it manually.
>
> A lot of spamcop reports are frivolous or mistargeted. The accuracy
> of them
> varies depending on the recipient ISP - they're OK for simple DSL
> providers,
> but tend to be quite inaccurate at webhosts or bandwidth providers.
> They're
> also so badly mangled by the spamcop system that they're not usable
> for enforcement. The most ISPs tend to do is to count them.
>
> A single manual report will often be worth dozens of spamcop reports
> and will usually get much more attention.

As I said: I don't use SpamCop RBL either - mostly because of unclear
policies. But SpamCop's mail header parsing routines ar far, far better
than what at least 99,99% of all human protesters know about this
topic.

I've been working for several companies in the
email/mailinglist/newsletter business. Even if you do your best (double
opt-in, et al) you'll receive SpamCop reports, and I know how
thin-skinned most superior instances care about them.
--
Bernhard Graf