[Catalyst] getting TT to translate automatically

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 14:55:57 CEST 2006

Hi

I am looking at using TT with cat to rewrite my multilanguage website.

The way my current implementation works is that all text for the site is in
a database, each row has a text mnemonic as primary key. You get back text
in a given language by doing something like::

$text = Sitetext::get( $lang, $key);

You can also do substitution of variables like this :

$text = Sitetext::get( $lang, $key, {NAME => "Pierre"});

What I'd like to do is get TT to do this automatically for all items on the
page that it doesn't find in the stash. So, for a template called "hello.tt"
like this :

<H1>[%HELLO%]</H1>

and passed a stash like this :

{ substrings = {NAME => "Pierre"},
  lang => "fr",
  template => "hello.tt"}

TT would then do Sitetext::get( 'fr', 'HELLO', {NAME => 'Pierre'} ),
returning "Bonjour Pierre", and substitute it (because the HELLO var was not
explicitly defined on the stash).

Can anyone tell me if this is doable in TT? I have looked but don't see an
easy way. Discussion of other neat methods used to make a multilingual
catalyst app are also welcome ...

regards

Daniel

--