[Catalyst] Internal Server Error

Len Jaffe lenjaffe at jaffesystems.com
Tue Apr 11 17:08:19 CEST 2006

> Ryan <god at detz.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
>
> We tried doing it directly through apache but
> couldn't get it to work,
> any help  on this because it would be much better
> overall.

Well, the general consensus is to run a lightweight
http server to server your static content (lighttpd,
or a non mod_perl apache). Alternatively you could use
the very heavy apache processes to server the static
content, but you'll want to rethink that for
scaleability.  The simplest way to work the "two
server" approach, wether it is two different
executables, or the one apache handling both, is to
server static stuff from a different fqdn.  Many
high-volume sites serve their dymaic content from
www.example.com and their images from
images.example.com.  It isn't a leap from there to
static.example.com.

If you want to use one apache, then you can configure
two virtual hosts.  if you go with a second process,
then you have to configure process two.

> I ran the server through the cat. server script and
> it does not happen
> so It must be something with apache.

For kicks, try running it under apache, with catalyst
debugging turned off. Maybe you'll get a better error
message from apache...

The other thing to try, is switching from static, to
Static::Simple.

Len.