[Catalyst] Catalyst on Windows advice needed

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 22:11:56 CEST 2006

On 4/17/06, Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 at frii.com> wrote:
> I recently read about Catalyst and it sounded great.
> I need to run it on MS Windows (with IIS -- that is
> a requirement).  I have spent friday and this entire
> weekend trying to install it on a Windows 2k machine
> with Activestate perl-5.8.8-817.  I have tried using
> the ppm packages at uwinnipeg.  I have tried building
> the cpan packages.  I have tried following various
> googled instructions. I have tried the shadowcat script.
> I have tried various combinations of the above in various
> orders.  For 3 days.

What sort of errors did you get, exactly?
I've been running Catalyst under Win32 with AS Perl 5.8.7 and 5.8.8,
using Apache 1/2, Visual Studio and GCC environments and it's running
smoothly. You can install everything from the CPAN shell provided
you've got a suitable compiling environment. Having a Visual Studio
environment makes things a little bit easier but GCC works fine.

There's a small issue if you're using AS Perl 5.8.8 regarding
Catalyst's install method. This also applies to some of its
dependencies. Basically, what you need to do is to remove the "inc"
directory inside each unwrapped package inside the ".cpan" directory.
Then you "nmake" manually from there and it works successfully under
5.8.8. Otherwise, you can go back to 5.8.7 while Module::Install isn't
upgraded (and, thus, the bug fixed).

> Does (most of) Catalyst run on Windows or am I on a
> fool's errand?

Everything from the "core" works. The only things I didn't manage to
build cleanly from Task::Catalyst were the XMLRPC plugin and the
Log4perl plugin.

> I know these are pretty open-ended questions but I
> am getting a little worried and wondering if Catalyst
> is the right answer just now.  If anyone is actually
> using Catalyst more that experimentaly in a Windows/IIS
> environment, I would love to know about it.  TIA of
> course.

I use it under Windows but using Apache. I only dared messing with
Perl under IIS once, to never try it again. That PerlScript thingy is
horrible.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.