[Catalyst] Random thought...

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 11:08:13 CEST 2006

re distro - any, so long as it's good. Use the standard mysql/pg distros
that come with it, to stay as standard as possible.

apps : I suggest chisels forum app (name of which completely escapes my
frazzled morning brain) as one possible.

It would also be good to have some simple demo multilingual app in there, as
this aspect is neglected by just about all frameworks. It's as easy in cat
as any other I think, but it takes a while to realise that for a newb.

On 4/18/06, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 Apr 2006, at 22:52, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
>
> > * Wade.Stuart at fallon.com <Wade.Stuart at fallon.com> [2006-04-17 20:30]:
> >> Take the lowest common denominator, you are after all showing a
> >> Catalyst demo not a Distro demo.
> >
> > Exactly, that's why you *don't* want to take the lowest common
> > denominator. You are doing a Cat demo, so you want everything
> > that's only of peripheral importance that purpose to Just Work so
> > people can test and develop Cat apps without having to wrestle
> > the system. After all, if they were willing to wrestle the
> > system, they wouldn't be using such a VMware image in the first
> > place.
>
> So how do we move forward on this? Is seems the consensus so far
> is (tilted towards my prejudices):
>
> 1. CentOS - it's RH. Although there's already a RH vmware image
> we could build on. I've played with Ubuntu, FC5 and RH recently
> and CentOS/RH 4.3 was the cleanest Cat install by far.
>
> 2. Pg - but what version? 8.0? 8.1? Does it matter?
>
> So what apps can be pre-installed for maximum goodness?
>

> --
> Dave Hodgkinson - Music photography
> http://www.hodgkinson.org/

Daniel McBrearty