[Catalyst] Postgresql (was: UPDATE: catalyst on vmware)

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 16:26:49 CEST 2006

On 4/20/06, Jesper Krogh <jesper at krogh.cc> wrote:

> > On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 03:20:23PM +0200, Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> >
> >> I think I got it flying on pg7 - I'll have a dig when I get home and
> >> see if I can find out what I did. It was pretty trivial I think.
> >>

> > Any of you Pg users notice much difference in speed between 7.4 and
> > 8.x?
>
> Yep.. Quite alot.
>
> 7.4 -> 8.1

Me too.  I've been on the 8.x series through all the public betas, and
I'm now in production on 8.1.x.  A lot of really nice improvements
over 7.4.  Better write performance under heavy transaction loads,
better query planning, better indexing, inheritance-based table
partitioning with constraint exclusion (a must-have for what might
otherwise be very large and inefficient single tables), and built-in
automatic vacuuming (including analyze) that "just works" and can be
tuned.

-- Brandon