[Catalyst] UPDATE: catalyst on vmware

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 21:37:16 CEST 2006

On 4/20/06, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, so we're at CentOS 4.3 and Pg 8.1. Any advances on that?
> Anyone got gripes about the stock perl interpreter?

If you stick with the vendor perl the fun now is deciding how many of
the vendor-packaged Perl modules to use vs. a pure CPAN install.  This
is not much of an issue of you don't go hunting the repos that expand
what RH ships.  My development is on FC4 with a bunch of the
non-Cat-specific modules pulled from rpmforge and friends.

FWIW, on Solaris I junked all of the vendor Perl bits and used the
Blastwave packages.  It became a similar problem at that point.  But
after this experience I'm leaning toward a process to control both the
interpreter and all of its modules to provide the sort of stable app
platform that doesn't change out from under me except on m schedule
and not the vendors.

dt

--

Dean Troyer