[Catalyst] UPDATE: catalyst on vmware

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 20:57:01 CEST 2006

On 4/20/06, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently in the habit of taking whatever the base install
> does and then upgrading everything out of date. With allied
> breakages. This may or may not be of engineering quality.
>
> And of course force install Scalar::Util.

I was doing basically this (via the cpan2rpm method Alessio mentioned
above) but trying to reconcile the differences between the FC/RHEL
world and Solaris made my head spin, and I didn't have the time to
write cpan2pkg.  I need a process as automated as possible (cd
/app/src; make world), and coupling this with VMware/Xen/Sol zones/etc
makes for some interesting possibilities.

Most big-time apps that need Perl ship a bundled interpreter and
modules anyway to simplify support.  The nice side-effect of this is
it puts the Catalyst module-dependency maze completely in the
deveoper's lap.

dt
--

Dean Troyer