[Catalyst] Test server not releasing socket

Will Hawes info at whawes.co.uk
Mon Apr 24 19:35:20 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:
> Will Hawes wrote:
>> FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE, Catalyst 5.66:
>>
>> [Mon Apr 24 17:29:56 2006] [catalyst] [info] Application powered by
>> Catalyst 5.66
>> Couldn't create daemon: Address already in use at
>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Catalyst/Engine/HTTP.pm line 135.
>>
>> admin at ds645# netstat -p tcp
>> Active Internet connections
>> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
>> tcp4       0      0  ds645.3000             XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX-nl.2500
>> TIME_WAIT
>
> *cough*
>
> Notice that there's a foreign address there. Whatever that is had a connection
> to the socket at the time, meaning that when it got suddenly closed down it
> entered TIME_WAIT until a full double-close was completed.

That's me connecting to the test server via a web browser. I don't see
the problem if the server is running on the same machine as the web
browser used to test the app, only (as in this case) when they are on
separate machines.

Does this mean if there are clients connected to the server, it will be
unable to restart until those clients disconnect/time out? I'd expected
(seemingly wrongly) that the test server would nuke even active
connections at shutdown time. Or is that not possible?