[Catalyst] REST + Catalyst

Svilen Ivanov svilen at netclime.com
Tue Apr 25 09:00:26 CEST 2006

Hi -

I'm planning to make a presentation of Catalyst on WebTech [1] - annual
Bulgarian conference about web technologies and development. As a demo
application I will create simple AJAX+REST RSS reader - something like the
apps in [2] and [3].

I checked the CPAN for suitable plugins for implementing REST pattern. I found
Catalyst::View::REST::Data::Serializer which I intend to use as my View
class. However I need controller plugin that will dispatch actions depending
on the type of HTTP method (GET/PUT/DELETE/POST).

Am I missing a suitable plugin or I have to implement it myself (I think it is
pretty easy). Did someone else implement REST web services with Catalyst and
would like to share his/her knowledge?

Also, if you could give me any suggestion how to organize the presentation to
make Catalyst appealing for 30 min. My "favourites" are:
- easy development - built-in/self-restarting test server, excellent error
page
- neat url-to-action dispatching via attributes
- simple yet powerfull plugin architecture, cool plugins for session, view,
etc.
- easy auto testing + packaging of the applications
- variaty of deployment options

Cheers,
Svilen

[1] http://wtconferences.com/2006/programm/