[Catalyst] Resolving performance issues.

Len Jaffe lenjaffe at jaffesystems.com
Tue Apr 25 21:21:53 CEST 2006

--- Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> This is a question for the sysadmins out there.
>
> My application is running fine on my development
> machine[1], but when
> moved to a Dreamhost dedicated server[1] it's quite
> slow.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions on what I might use to
> get some metrics
> before talking to Dreamhost about the issue (just
> saying "It's slow"
> is not very persuasive).

You need a way to take the network latency out of your
tests.  One admittedly dumb way is to run traceroute
while running yur tests, and subtract the network
latency. I said it was dumb.

Another is to write a custom view that generates yoru
output, but then discards it in favor of a very, very
small text/plain response.

Another way that I can think of is to put dreamhost
app in debug mode, add some debug logging at important
points in you request processing, and compare the
timings.
If dreamhost is a slower processor, on a more loaded
host, with significantly higher network latency, then
that really explains is.

Is your dream host app CGI, while the dev app uses the
dev server? That could be a factor.

Somebody else probabaly has more tips...

Len.