[Catalyst] What a waste of time

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Wed Apr 26 22:03:07 CEST 2006

rails coder wrote:
> Dear Unsuspecting catalyst newbie,
>
>  Think twice before continuing.
>
> I tried to install catalyst:
>
>  - several tens of perl modules

Very valid point.

>  - perl modules with circular version dependencies
>  - perl modules which won't install without force
>
>  => took a long time and was difficult. I'd rather spend the time scratching
> my ass.

CatInABox might help with the tens of modules thing.
As soon as the perl 5.10 hits with all of the portable/config bits,
there's nothing stopping us from making an install the has a local perl
, with everything build in already.

> I tried to use catalyst:
>
>  - lack of accurate and useful documentation is amazing

Define useful. Catalyst has very good docs imho...it's just not in
marketing-37signals speak.

>  - lack of simple examples such as form building and validation is
> unacceptable
>
>  => catalyst is "consulting ware", which is why the developers refuse to
> document it in a usable manner
>

> I said "screw it", as much as I like perl, I can't put up with catalyst. In
> the time I took trying to install and learn how to use catalyst, I have
> already learned ruby and rails.
>

> I tried to install ruby:
>
>  - took me two minutes
>

> I tried to install rails:
>
>  - took me another two minutes
>

> I tried to use rails:
>
>  - bought an online pdf "Agile Web Development with Rails"
>
>    - went through a 90 page tutorial that teaches hands-on every portion of
> building a complex application
>    - took me ~8 hours
>
>  - it just works, and works well, unlike catalyst
>  - noticed along the way that catalyst is nothing more than a cheap, halfass
> imitation of Rails

Right. Try and using something other than ActiveRecord for the DB,  or
ruby for the view once and see what happens.