[Catalyst] What a waste of time

Sebastian Riedel sri at oook.de
Thu Apr 27 17:03:31 CEST 2006

27.04.2006 16:13 Michele Beltrame:
>> it's true on shared hosting though, which is probably where most
>> newbies, includies the ror "troll" ran into problems.
>
> I don't think the situation is better for RoR in a shared hosting
> environment. The problem is speed: the CGI engine, forcing all
> initializations to be performed at every request, doesn't scale
> well for
> medium-big applications. Is RoR fast in CGI-mode? I don't think so.

RoR should be faster in a plain old CGI environment, because it keeps
less meta
data around and doesn't have to preload all component classes.
But the real problem is the ORM, if you use a loader like RoR does
every startup will take ages.

In the past nobody (including me) cared about Catalyst startup times
because we all used Class::DBI::Loader,
now that we have DBIx::Class it would be possible to reorganize the
internals a bit
and make it usable in a CGI environment, but is it worth all the
trouble?

--
sebastian