[Catalyst] What a waste of time

Michele Beltrame mb at italpro.net
Thu Apr 27 17:12:51 CEST 2006

Hello Sebastian!

> RoR should be faster in a plain old CGI environment, because it keeps
> less meta
> data around and doesn't have to preload all component classes.
> But the real problem is the ORM, if you use a loader like RoR does
> every startup will take ages.

I don't use a loader (I have hand-defined schema classes), but Catalyst
startup time is slow even on my local machine (which is a quite fast
beast, by the way). I've never tried RoR that much so I can't compare.

> now that we have DBIx::Class it would be possible to reorganize the
> internals a bit and make it usable in a CGI environment, but is it
> worth all the trouble?

It depends on "how much fast" it will be possible to make it. Probably
not enough to be worth. It should be fast enough to make it usable in
production environment, but is that possible at all?

Michele.

--
Michele Beltrame
http://www.varlogarthas.net/