[Catalyst] Starting development

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Fri Apr 28 15:08:32 CEST 2006

A. Pagaltzis scribbled on 4/28/06 4:10 AM:
> * Peter Karman <peter at peknet.com> [2006-04-27 20:40]:
>> Not using an ORM leaves out the M from the MVC (Model, View,
>> Controller) framework that Catalyst uses, which leaves you View
>> and Controller. Those two are where all the fun stuff happens
>> anyway. :)
>>
>> Don't get hung up on the whole "which ORM do I use" thing at
>> first. You can use DBI and straight SQL all you want. What
>> Catalyst does is encourage you to think differently (if, like
>> me, you don't know much about MVC, then read up on that a
>> little first). After you get your feet wet with an app or two,
>> then you can start to inject some Model stuff in there.
>
> Oh dear, so many misconceptions. :-(
>
> Using an ORM and doing MVC are pretty much orthogonal. MVC is an
> approach for distributing responsibilities in your code. An ORM
> creates a manifestation of a database schema as a class library,
> roughly speaking. Now, an ORM can perform the duties of a (pretty
> shallow) Model, but that doesn’t mean the Model has to be an ORM.

Thanks for the clarifications.

I agreed with much of what Andy posted. I find I'm using the wrong words
to express the same ideas. :)

What I intended to say was that Separation of Concerns (Andy's phrase)
is what Catalyst helps encourage, and that using the ->model and
MyApp::Model parts of the framework was optional, especially for newbies
(like myself) to the MVC world. Frameworks are intended to help with
structure, not confuse with limits. I think Catalyst does that well.

pek
Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter at peknet.com