[Catalyst] Is Catalyst large enough to sustain a book?

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Fri Apr 28 17:41:19 CEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 13:18:43 -0300, Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior wrote:
> On 4/26/06, Harley Mackenzie <hjm at bigpond.com> wrote:
> >    * Does Catalyst have enough momentum and support to sustain a book?
>
> I think Catalyst should become a little bit more stable before a
> proper book. Not stable in the sense that it crashes, has lots of
> bugs, etc. But "interface stability".
>
> I also think that Catalyst should develop at least 3 things before
> trying to appeal to a broader audience:
>
> 1. Schema::Declare (or another equivalent approach)

That's DBIC's job - while it can be coverred e.g. under a hybrid
Catalyst and DBIx::Class book, a Catalyst book on it's own should
not really consider this a show stopper.

> 2. Better and consistent AJAX libraries support (
> C::P::HTML::Prototype can't beat RoR AJAX support, if you consider the
> ease-of-use factor )

HTML::Prototype is a direct port of the rails api - which sucks.

There's also a MochiKit binding, and Dojo *could* use a binding to
make it easy but it's interface is very very different.

Frankly, I think Prototype/scriptaculous kinda sucks, after having
used it - it's fun, till it has to scale a bit more.

Usually code generation is fun but then limiting - which is expected
and OK (since after all you are writing in  a pretty high level
programming language), but the moment that you start doing prototype
"by hand" it's weaknesses start to show their ugly head.

> 3. Continuations should be working safely and consistently

This is as ready as it will be without real continuations in Perl,
and it's really a small feature.