[Catalyst] Is Catalyst large enough to sustain a book?

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 05:54:11 CEST 2006

On 4/28/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> mochikit and dojo are both sane. We should support at least one of these, and
> preferably both.

Okay, my posts are already being considered flamebait, but really...
this is utter non-sense to me.

I've just remember why I hated so much MochiKit: when you read through
its documentation you can't seem to find a place where it actually
DWIM as it should (but maybe I'm just a really wicked person). It
smells over-engineering. I really don't like it.

Dojo, on the other hand, really seems somewhat sane. I should probably
look into it a bit more during the next weeks, since I wasn't familiar
with it.

There's this one thing I noticed, though: Dojo has this horribly
familiar Java feeling. Then, looking back at MochiKit, it also has
this horribly familiar Python feeling. Then it all makes perfect
sense. I kind of like Ruby, thus Prototype seems really nice to me.

Maybe what we needed is yet another JavaScript library, but with a
perlish look.

Or maybe we just needed people to stop bitching around and actually
code useful stuff. Amazingly, even the ones that already help a lot,
could be even more help more if they stopped doing so. ;-)

As a side note, my original post wasn't intented as a flamebait (if
that's what some people implied): I really think a sucessfull Catalyst
book would need those things, but then I'm no book author. I probably
won't even read the Catalyst book, since I probably won't manage get a
hard copy whenever it gets published. It was just my two cents,
really.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.