[Catalyst] Root controller index() vs auto()

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 19:49:00 CEST 2006

On 8/2/06, leonard.a.jaffe at jpmchase.com <leonard.a.jaffe at jpmchase.com>
wrote:

> I just posted a question about a login problem in my Root controller.
> While analyzing the problem, I discovered that
> when my Root controller is invoked as http:/site/dev/ (implying index
> right?) my sub index() never runs.
>
> I get /auto and /end.  It doesn't matter whether I designate the sub's
> attribute as Private or Local.
>
> Other controller default to index() if defined.
>
> Should I be worried that /index isn't executing by default in my root
> controller?

There are some known issues with the "index" special action name in Root
controllers, but they've been difficult to track down, and are specific to
the engine you're running (test server vs mod_perl vs fastcgi, etc).

For me, the best workaround has been to replace

sub index : Private { ... }

with:

sub _index : Path('/') { ... }

-- Brandon