[Catalyst] MSSQL and Catalyst

Alan Humphrey alan.humphrey at comcast.net
Mon Aug 14 18:16:24 CEST 2006

Anyone here using M$$QL as their backend?  

I'm using it as one part of an app.  The app is very lightly used so I can't
give you any performance information, but here's what I've done.

1) Running NetBSD, using DBD::Sybase and FreeTDS.
2) FreeTDS has a limitation in that it doesn't support bind variables.  I'm
using DBIx::Class, so I ended up subclassing DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI and
overriding _execute to manually swap in the bind variables.
3) That, in turn, caused memory problems because D::C:S::D uses
prepare_cached for the statement handle.  With the bind variables swapped
out the cache rapidly filled memory.  The answer was to override sth to use
prepare instead of prepare_cached.

That's about it.  Once I got past the bind variables it all worked fine.

My understanding is that the next release of DBIx::Class (5.7) addresses the
bind variables issue, but I haven't been able to test it.

- Alan

More information about the Catalyst mailing list