[Catalyst] User Generated Content (project collaboration)

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Aug 14 19:59:36 CEST 2006

Dennis Daupert wrote:
> */Roman <roman at fili.ca>/* wrote:
>
>  > I have an idea for a great Catalyst based project that can
>  > really show the power of Catalyst and spawn some extra
>  > projects from this and give Catalyst some coverage.
>
> I think the time is right. I've tracked other recent posts (*Sigh. How
> do we get on this list?*) and going back to the Christmas 'Wish List' A
> number of people have expressed interest/desire in creating/using
> Catalyst to provide a cafeteria of web site components. Catalyst has
> been maturing to the point that IMHO it's time to build the
> "portals-in-a-box"
>
> I, too, have been working on similar ideas, and would very much like to
> play. I have some rough draft web widgets I'd hoped to have up on the
> internet this past weekend, but life intervened. It should be up soon,
> tho. I'll be very happy to contribute any code I've put together. In my
> usual 'Creative Ambivalence' fashion I have several different directions
> in mind all at once for a 'configurable web portal' toolset that range
> from development team tools thru CMS thru ecommerce.

We have a sane set of widget classes which integrate effectiely with normal
Catalyst usage already on the build, combined with a way of handling
controller layout that makes *-in-a-box bolt-ons much easier; expect a public
release in a week or three.

Once that's done we'd be interested in feedback as to whether this would be a
suitable basis for this sort of project; it's certainly going to be for our
future re-usable application components but you guys may have something
different in mind, at which point we'd be happy to refactor to ensure it works
out.

I've been keeping fairly quiet about this so far because we don't want to make
people stop work while they wait for our stuff to turn up, but I'm pretty
confident we'll have something out in the open by YAPC::EU, so any of you
who're coming to the Catalyst BoF session there should start making notes so
we can have a proper discussion of this sort of thing in person.