[Catalyst] how to get started?

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 16:14:42 CEST 2006

I also had a similar frustration when starting with
Catalyst.  It's definitely worth your time to muddle
through it and make it work.  One thing that I've been
doing to help me keep track is I keep a running list
of modules I've installed from a clean 5.8.7 perl to
get everythings started that way I have less trouble
when moving to production.  Also I install my CPAN
apps under an application lib area instead of the
general CPAN area so I can easily discover what's been
installed.

If you'd like I make a quick and dirty script to load
CPAN modules in an order that seems to work when I
start from a vanilla 5.8.7 install.  I also know Matt
has an install script around that I am sure it much
better, but I am not sure where that is (somewhere on
the WIKI I imagine).

No doubt that CPAN has been aquiring some cruft over
the years, but I am sure this is a general Perl issue,
not just specific to Catalyst.   Hopefully when can
use the transition to perl 6 to solve some of these
troubles.

Don't give up!  -john
CPAN