[Catalyst] Chained actions question

leonard.a.jaffe at jpmchase.com leonard.a.jaffe at jpmchase.com
Fri Aug 25 21:54:33 CEST 2006

I haven't asked a question in a couple of days, so I figured you were all
going through withdrawal, and I'd hook you up.

I am thinking about some restful URLs for a particular bit of a screen I'm
working on.

It is a master detail edit/view screen, and I want to be able to specify
the master record via its primary key (id), or its date (report_date -
YYYY-MM-DDD).
I only ever want to refer to the detail records by their PKs (id).
The report has an id, a date, and a presenter
The issue has issue detail, an id, and a report_id foreign key.

My screen shows a list of all of the issues for a particular status
report.

I need to be able to handle URLs like these:

1) /report/9/                                          -   displays all
the master/detail screen  for master(9) and all of its detail children
2) /report/2006/08/22                        -   likewise for
master(2006-08-22) and all of its detail children
3) /report/add/                                    -   inserts a new
master record for today's date

4) /report/9/add/                           -  inserts an issue for
master(9)
5) /report/2006/08/22/add         -   inserts an issue for
master(2006/08/22)
[ likewise for update of issue data]

6) /report/9/edit/3                                   - displays the
screen for master(9) with issue(3) loaded into the issued add/edit form.
7) /report/2006/08/22/edit/3                - displays the screen for
master(2006/08/22) with issue(3) loaded into the issued add/edit form.

Now, I'm not entirely sure I wan tot use the numeric id columns as part of
the URLs since I can be passing the date around on the URL, or in the
session, but that might just be my reaction to not being bale to write
working action declarations.
But I've been unable to work out the proper method declarations to create
this setup as Chained actions, which is what calls to me whenever I see
restful URLs like these.  What is currently stumping me is trying to use
either 1 or 3 args for the report key.

Has anybody done this kind of setup before?
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Len.

Leonard A. Jaffe      (614)213-4283
JP Morgan Chase,   DSS Instrumentation Services
leonard.a.jaffe at jpmchase.com

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,