[Catalyst] Anyone actually using FastCGI with Apache (or even lighttpd)?

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Tue Aug 29 21:57:48 CEST 2006

On 8/29/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> Andreas Marienborg wrote:
> > I have had this problem since 5.33 I think.
> >
> > just wrote it off as a configuration problem and PEBKAC:)
>
> If somebody could write this up for Engine::FastCGI in the form of a patch I'm
> sure it could ship in 5.7002

I started to, but the workaround involves changing some environment
variables in ways that (for Apache at least) require knowledge of the
Apache configuration that FastCGI doesn't make available to the
application.  I considered doing something funky with having Apache
set an environment variable to pass that information into the App, or
putting it in the configuration file, but that just feels dirty, and
introduces it's own problems if you change those portions of the
Apache config and forget to change the environment or configuration.

The other problem is that it doesn't seem to affect some people, which
leads me to believe that there are only certain configurations where
it breaks, or only certain things you might attempt in Catalyst that
run afoul of it.  I ran into it because I was using $c->request->path
and $c->request->arguments from a default sub to return files if they
existed, and it wasn't working because path and arguments were both
wrong.

I also didn't have a test environment with an application that wasn't
in the root that I could test on to make sure my changes didn't break
there, so in the end I decided I was probably better off spending that
time trying to track down the FastCGI bug itself, which would seem to
be a bigger win given the number of things besides Catalyst that I
found that were affected by it...

--
Jason Kohles
email at jasonkohles.com - http://www.jasonkohles.com/