[Catalyst] Last Chance / Last Day: Web development platform contestand Perl / Catalyst

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Dec 1 20:01:08 GMT 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 04:43:03PM -0200, Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior wrote:
> On 12/1/06, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:
> >Perl.  Is.  Not.  Dead.
>
> No one *here* is stating that Perl is really dead. Otherwise we'd all
> be undead zombies from hell or something like that. Anyone who's
> inside the Perl community knows it's alive and kicking and that most
> of Perl's "widely known problems" are actually FUD. The real problem
> is that it currently seems to be an ever shrinking community.

Unfortunately, FUD drives the real world.  How often do projects get
written in Perl or Ruby or Python because it is the best choice vs.
what the managers think is the best choice?

What's the goal?  Open up the paper and see lots of listing for Perl
jobs?  That managers pick Perl/Catalyst over another solution?  That
Perl is popular enough to drive up demand for good perl programmers?

Perl and Catalyst can do the job.  We know that.  So the problem is
getting the word out.

> Perl's liveliness needs exposure besides what has already been done -
> that's what everyone is arguing for IMO. And, of course, it's much
> easier said than done.

Right.

Public relation firms exist for a good reason.  But PR is expensive.
Without some good corporate sponsorship we would need a bit of
fund raising.  I wonder how much income has been generated from using
Catalyst.

I'd give a small chunk of cash to TPF (or whatever) if I knew there
were enough others doing the same to make it count.

I joked once on IRC about Catalyst "certification" -- ads in IT
magazines would suggest that managers look for and higher only
certified Cat programmers...  Of course, those are the ones who's dues
paid for the ad in the first place.

What was that organization that did all those TCO reports for
Microsoft?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org