[Catalyst] Last Chance / Last Day: Web development platform contestand Perl / Catalyst

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 22:09:31 GMT 2006

On 12/1/06, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:
> J. Shirley wrote:
> > A very good friend of mine, who is a brilliant programmer, abandoned
> > Perl for Java because of job security.  I'm hoping to win him back to
> > the Perl side, but he's not alone.  Why bother risking the safety of
> > your career because you want to hang on to what most people consider
> > an out-of-date and less capable language?
>
> Hmm, I didn't know that you were only allowed to know one programming
> language.  You probably don't want to tell him this, but [whispering]
> some people know both!  I hear some legends even know... get this...
> *three* programming languages!

Hyperbole much?

There is a difference between the languages known, and what is
recognizable as a persons career language.  The vast majority of
developers focus specifically on one language, and then have other
languages that they know, but to a lesser degree.

As someone who has screened probably around a thousand resumes in the
last 12 months, I can say that this is the way most developers are.
If someone claims they are advanced or experts in more than one
language, they tend to either be liars, or open source developers.