[Catalyst] Last Chance / Last Day: Web development platform contestand Perl / Catalyst

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 23:28:37 GMT 2006

On 12/1/06, Sebastian Riedel <sri-lists at oook.de> wrote:
> apv wrote:
> > The last two big companies I worked for were both moving away from
> > Perl. One of them was Amazon.com (I known there are still a few
> > boosters and projects for Perl there but as a whole the company has
> > become quite anti-Perl and has been rewriting everything in Java it
> > can get budget money for). It isn't because Perl isn't useful, Perl
> > helped build both of the companies, but because it has an image of not
> > being up to the task. Sure Perl's not dead but that's at least 100
> > high paying, high profile Perl jobs in my town alone that are gone.
> > Not because Perl sucks but because a lot of people think it does.
>
> Funny you mention Amazon switching to Java.
> I would expect more Ruby projects from them since the Jeff Bezos /
> 37signals deal.
>

> http://www.37signals.com/svn/archives2/bezos_expeditions_invests_in_37signals.php
>

> --
> sebastian

All of Amazon's front-end is in Mason (and as such, Perl) along with
their middle-ware.  The backend is changing out, but that has usually
been in C/C++ and is switching to Java.

--
J. Shirley :: jshirley at gmail.com :: Killing two stones with one bird...
http://www.toeat.com - http://code.toeat.com/~jshirley