[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance / Last Day: Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sat Dec 2 15:55:42 GMT 2006

On 2 Dec 2006, at 15:15, Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior wrote:

> On 12/2/06, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at fcc.ro> wrote:
>> Of course, there are more ways to do it in every language, but for
>> perl, the
>> correct expression should be: "There are too many ways to do it". :-)
>> There is no "the most important" templating system in perl, or the
>> best
>> module for creating configuration files, or other "bests", so
>> Catalyst
>> should try beeing compatible with all of them, because otherwise
>> it would
>> lose the interest of some programmers.
>
> Just because you can use all of them it doesn't mean there isn't a
> defacto standard.
> TT is pretty much the default templating system for Catalyst,
> DBIx::Class the default ORM and well, for configuration files, I
> suppose it'd be YAML. At least those are the better supported choices
> and that's why you can't properly learn Catalyst without tackling DBIC
> or even TT, to a lesser degree.

I suppose it's ironic that I was one of the loudest voices -against-
having a default ORM, given I'm the original author of the one that
now is.

Funnily, the reason I caved and accepted us writing the new tutorial
to include a substantial amount of DBIx::Class was that the general
feedback from users at that point was that the old tutorial (which I
believe was the one that Dan pointed out as being better for him)
didn't cover it enough, and *they* all wanted to use a database.

Guess you can't please everybody :)

(and what would people say to re-doing the tutorial to add back in a
couple chapters that -don't- use DBIC at the beginning, and then
perhaps an additional one at the end that uses another model (SVN or
LDAP spring to mind) ?)
--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for