[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance / LastDay:Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at fcc.ro
Sat Dec 2 18:59:44 GMT 2006

From: Kieren Diment =

  > Any chance you could comment on:

  http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/1

  and suggest further improvements?

  Well, I can't suggest for improvements, because that tutorial is not for =
a beginner and that's where I am. :-)

  It is a fine tutorial for someone who knows how to use Catalyst, but also=
 wants to know the right way for developing a more advanced application, th=
at uses versioning.
  As a suggestion, I'd say that it would be nice to made it platform indepe=
ndent. I develop the applications under Windows, and only if they work fine=
 I use to put them run in production (under Linux). There are very few situ=
ations in which a certain module cannot be tested under Windows and in that=
 case I test it under Linux directly.

  I have seen that your example modifies the root controller, so this convi=
nce me that this is not a tutorial for beginners.
  The beginners should start learning to use Catalyst, without SVN, with it=
s default ways of doing things, without other external modules that can be =
avoided.
  If a beginner sees that in its first example of using Catalyst, a certain=
 module is used, he might think that module is absolutely necessary, and th=
at Catalyst cannot work without it.

  I think your example is very good, but not for the beginners.

  Teddy