[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance /LastDay:Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at fcc.ro
Sun Dec 3 22:41:22 GMT 2006

From: Kieren Diment =

  > I wrote the svn section to remind myself of the various stuff that you =
have to do to when setting up a new project - mainly because I do lots of s=
mall coding projects and can never remember what to do. =

  > As far as the root controller goes, that's almost always going to be wh=
at you modify first.  This could be more clearly expressed in this article,=
 and I will make a note of that.

  > As far as introducing a dependency in the model goes, this will almost =
always happen, as most common problems are solved and on CPAN.  I hate rein=
venting the wheel as they always come out square for me.   Again this probl=
em is noted and I will deal with it.  Perhaps CPAN searching techniques cou=
ld be in Catalyst's pedagogical docs. =

  > I guess my audience for this article was a catalyst neophyte who has th=
e support of someone nearby (i.e. a colleague) to get them over the major h=
umps in the learning curve, not an independent self-learner.

  I remember that I've read many good books that use to give a basic exampl=
e, but before showing that example they use to say that "This is not the ri=
ght way to do it, and you will learn later why", or told that there are muc=
h better ways, but they still shown that basic example.

  For example, when I have started learning Perl for creating CGI applicati=
ons, I didn't start directly by using "use CGI" but by checking if the requ=
est was a GET or POST method, and if it was a GET to parse manually the que=
ry string, and if it was a POST method to parse the STDIN for getting the v=
ariables.

  Of course I have learned immediately that it is much more simple to use t=
he CGI module, but that way of learning helped me much to understand better=
 how the CGI module works, and how it gets those variables.

  Now I can see many PHP users that don't understand what's really a GET me=
thod or a POST method, and they think that a POST method is much secure tha=
n a GET one and so on, because the way of getting the variables from the us=
ers is built in PHP, so they don't need to care.

  Using Catalyst with an ORM means using a higher level of programming, and=
 this makes the users understand harder the low level things, in order to b=
e able to use other methods, for example accessing a database from Catalyst=
 directly.

  Teddy