[Catalyst] question from tutorial - does creating HTML in a controller using HTML::Widget violate MVC?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Dec 6 13:06:15 GMT 2006

On 6 Dec 2006, at 01:00, Thomas L. Shinnick wrote:

> At 05:56 PM 12/5/2006, Sebastian Riedel wrote:
>> Hermida, Leandro wrote:
>>> I thought the tutorial was absolutely great - things that I had
>>> in the past spent hours developing myself are practically plug
>>> and play and it gives you a nice taste of how powerful Catalyst is!
>>>
>>> One question about the tutorial though, doesn't building
>>> "presentation" material inside the controller using HTML::Widget
>>> so of break the MVC concept?  After reading the Catalyst intro
>>> and about MVC I thought I wouldn't be writing anything HTML or
>>> presentation specific in the M or the C parts, only in the V
>>> which are the TT files.  Do I have something wrong in my thinking?
>>
>> Nope, you're right, the form declarations belong to the view,
>> HTML::Widget was an experiment and i wouldn't suggest using it
>> anymore.
>> There should be a TT plugin imo similar to the CGI.pm one, just
>> sane. :)
>>
>> --
>> sebastian
>
> Eep!  Could you expand on your statement?  Would you still use it
> for input validation?  Only?

I wouldn't use HTML::Widget at all. The people who took over maint
after sebastian gave up on it have struggled valiantly to make it
useful and production quality and so far as I'm concerned failed. Not
one of his better experiments :)

--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for