[Catalyst] question from tutorial - does creating HTML in acontroller using HTML::Widget violate MVC?

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 19:03:16 GMT 2006

On 12/6/06, Alejandro Imass <alejandro.imass at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just a newbie like you in Catalyst but I think that HTML::Widget
> is probably good enough for most simple (and perhaps not so simple)
> CRUD screens that are usually a pain after you finish your main app. I
> usually leave the admin apps for last and HTML::Widget saved my
> particular day so even if the original author recommends not using it,
> I would recommend that you try it and if it's good for you leave it at
> that. If something better comes along, learn it and use it. The
> important thing is to get the job done and HTML::Widget does that,
> IMHO it's not at all as broken as some have stated here.

FWIW, I thought I might jump in regarding the logic behind using
HTML::Widget in the tutorial.  There was considerable debate about how
we should handle that back when I was wrapping up the current tutorial
in the late Spring (in preparation for the release of 5.7000).  We
knew that it would be great to jump right to something like Reaction,
but it wasn't ready at the time.  So... we made sure that all the
HTML::Widget stuff was in the final section of the tutorial... that
way it:

1) is easier to update in the future
2) is optional for people who want to do something else

Regards,
Kennedy

PS -- Leandro, I should probably also mention that the main concern I
had when I first started to learn HTML::Widget was the same "doesn't
this violate MVC" issue you raise. :-)  So, as others have said, the
answer is "yes it does"... but it seemed like the best option back in
the Spring (although it sounds like that could be changing soon with
Reaction gaining traction). :-)