[Catalyst] Re: [Dbix-class] Re: How to Install Catalyst on windows

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu+catalyst at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 04:27:29 GMT 2006

> > > From my experience, I could even argue that under Windows
> > > you'll actually be more productive thanks to some support tools
> > > not directly Catalyst related. One such is example is that you
> > > don't really have a decent integrated Subversion graphical
> > > front-end for Linux

Or one might have their favorite file manager, or other tool. For
example, in Windows I use Necromancer's Navigator
(http://ndn.muxe.com/) and couldn't live without it. It has a Linux
port, but that doesn' run on FreeBSD. And Midnight Commander feels
crippled compared to NDN. BTW, it always amazed me how die-hard Linux
fans in my company keep issuing countless "cd" and "ls" and "mv"
commands at the console instead of using a file manager. I am tons
more productive than them on Linux with MC, let alone on Windows with
NDN.

> > What about Strawberry Perl?
>
> I've never really tried Strawberry Perl but from what I've heard it's
> even easier when you're using it, since it already comes with gcc.

I recently tried Strawberry Perl and it could not compile XML::Twig. I
was under a deadline, so I reverted to the newer version of
ActiveState Perl without much investigation.