[Catalyst] Supporting multiple password types with C::P::Auth::Store::DBIC

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 23:16:30 GMT 2006

Am migrating from an old system which used Basic Auth, to this plugin.
As mentioned in a previous post, using

password_type => crypted

means that the old passwords still work. Nice ...

But reading the docs for "crypt" I just noticed that it can screw up
on unicode wide chars, so it looks like a good idea to migrate away
from crypt to hashed. The best way to do this would be to make the
plugin support both ... something like :

if (length($user->password) == 14) {
   # use crypt
} else {
   # use hash
}

and just hash new passwords.

I hope this shouldn't too hard, if I know where to start ... I guess I
need to subclass the class that does the actual decode. Any pointers
or big gotchas that anyone can see?

thanks

Daniel

--