[Catalyst] Architecture Advice? Integrating Catalyst Apps

Dennis Daupert ddaupert at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 19 16:28:46 GMT 2006

There are by now lots of Catalyst apps out there: Mojomojo, Meios, Parley, etc. Each is standalone. When it comes time to intergrate multiple apps in one web site (portal, eCommerce, CMS) some rewiring is needed.

I've been working up a rough draft of a community/collaborative site to include image handling tools, writing tools, discussion board, etc AND have the capability to create online shops and user areas. Before stumbling too far down the path, I wanted to ask for advice from folks who have been there.

I have this architecture:

lib/
   Bigsite/
      Controller/
         Image_Tools/
            Photo stuff/
            Gallery/
         Text_Tools/
            blog/
            articles/
            faq_builder
            quote_handler/
            stories/
          Forum

I'd have Handel in there somewhere (I haven't messed w/ Handel since Chris began his recent Herculean efforts); I have admin pages strewn in amongst other stuff, but plan to pull those out into a separate Catalyst app running on separate port; I haven't done user pages or web stores before, so I'm wide open there.

I have been building on a VPN, so have root access. Once I have something up there that's not stupid, I'd like to offer to the Catalyst community.

Thoughts? Ideas? Discussion? Collaboration?

/dennis