[Catalyst] C::P::Email 0.06 problem

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Dec 24 15:24:53 GMT 2006

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 11:10:48AM +0100, Sébastien Wagener wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 10:55 -0800, Dylan Vanderhoof wrote:
> > Upgrading to 0.06 broke my code using C::P::Email that was written
> > nearly identically to the docs.
> I've the same problem, all the e-mail sending facilities are broken in
> my app... I would appreciate to know whether I should adapt my code or
> downgrade and wait for 0.07. thx

The plugin is only about a dozen lines of code -- I just added it to
my application base class.

I also added a test for debug mode to re-route all mail to a testing
address.  And I delay sending mail if there's a database transaction
active.

I think the bigger problem is Email::* modules not dealing with
character encodings.  I end up doing this quite a bit:

    my $email = Email::MIME->create(
        attributes => {
            content_type    => 'text/plain',
            charset         => 'utf-8',
            disposition     => 'inline',
        },
    body => encode_utf8( $utf8_content ),

I talked to Recardo about this in early November but never heard back.
I'm not sure where the fix should be -- but I was getting a lot of
wide character warnings in my logs.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org