[Catalyst] Catalyst on Windows

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 17:54:57 GMT 2006

On 12/26/06, Karl.Moens at marsh.com <Karl.Moens at marsh.com> wrote:
> A recent version of ActiveState Perl, the "mingw" package/environment, a
> well configured CPAN and CPANPLUS and finally PPM (with such extra
> repositories such as the one provided by Randy Kobes) makes installing
> modules (and Catalyst) an almost painless effort. I'm not saying
> *everything* works but until now I did not encounter a real show-stopper.

I share this feeling. I usually surprised about the amount of trouble
people seem to be getting into while trying to install / use Catalyst
under Windows. Of course, some things just can't be done (e.g.
Cache::FastMmap didn't support Windows until recently) and there's
nothing you can do about it. But these are exceptions.

I successfully develop Catalyst applications under Windows and deploy
them on Linux and I actually face far *less* problems than other
developers which prefer Linux (we can use our OS of choice here, as
long as we're productive).

Of course there is some ocasional breakage when updating some
previously working module due to the authors not being Windows users
(mainly on modules which are wrapper around C libraries). But these
are rare and the authors are usually more than glad to fix them when
they get to know about the issue.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.