[Catalyst] Day 10 - Catalyst on shared hosting

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Feb 3 07:33:26 CET 2006

I just followed the calendar example to install Catalyst on a
reasonably clean machine (new Debian Sarge install on Dreamhost).

I needed to change:

  'makepl_arg' => qq[INSTALLDIRS=site install_base=$ENV{HOME}/local],

  'makepl_arg' => qq[INSTALLDIRS=site PREFIX=$ENV{HOME}/local],

Seems like there used to be a problem getting everything installed
locally using PREFIX (man pages?), but maybe that was an older
version.

Before using PREFIX above, make install was still trying to install
catalyst.pl in /usr/bin:

    Warning: You do not have permissions to install into /usr/bin at
    /usr/share/perl/5.8/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 114

It was not that smooth of an install.  I needed sudo at one point, but
that was before changing to PREFIX.  (Not sure, but maybe that was
during Module::Install build?)

Test::Warn failed install.  I had to install Array::Compare and
Test::MockObject by hand to get Test::Warn installed.  Then re-ran
the Catalyst install.  Took about 45 minutes.  Makes me appreciate
those nice .debs.

$ du -sh local
8.3M    local

$ find local -type f | wc -l