[Catalyst] Problems With FastCGI

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:53:07 CET 2006

On 2/2/06, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:00:18AM -0500, hkclark at gmail.com wrote:

> > > Did you specify -l ?
> >

> > Thanks for your note.  Based on Day 17 of the advent, I thought -l was
> only
> > for the standalone mode.  I can see where this would fix this issue, but
> I'm
> > confused how the "non-standalone" method (discussed under the "Setup"
> > heading in the advent) would ever work??
>
> Yes, that's right.  Sounds like you might be trying to run the
> fastcgi.pl script as a plain cgi script.
>
> Are you sure you are telling Apache to run it as a FastCGI script?
> You would get that "STDIN is not a socket" if running as CGI.
>

>    FastCgiServer /var/www/MyApp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl -processes 3
>    Alias /myapp/ /var/www/MyApp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl/
>
> I tend to create a new httpd.conf file when testing instead of using
> adding to an existing httpd.conf.
>

> Post your apache config, if still having trouble.

Hi Bill,

Here are all the FastCGI parts of the apache config:

  LoadModule fastcgi_module modules/mod_fastcgi.so

  #FastCgiIpcDir /tmp/fcgi_ipc/
  FastCgiIpcDir /tmp
  AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi

  # Serve static content directly
  DocumentRoot  /var/www/apps/tutorial/root
  Alias /static /var/www/apps/tutorial/root/static

  FastCgiServer /var/www/apps/tutorial/script/tutorial_fastcgi.pl -processes
1
  Alias /tutorial/ /var/www/apps/tutorial/script/tutorial_fastcgi.pl/

  # Or, run at the root
  Alias / /var/www/tutorial/script/tutorial_fastcgi.pl/

I was wondering about the .pl extension causing it to run as a "normal CGI"
vs FastCGI, so I made a copy of the tutorial_fastcgi.pl into
tutorial_fastcgi.fcgi and also tried this in httpd.conf:

  LoadModule fastcgi_module modules/mod_fastcgi.so

  #FastCgiIpcDir /tmp/fcgi_ipc/
  FastCgiIpcDir /tmp
  AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi

  # Serve static content directly
  DocumentRoot  /var/www/apps/tutorial/root
  Alias /static /var/www/apps/tutorial/root/static

  FastCgiServer /var/www/apps/tutorial/script/tutorial_fastcgi.fcgi
-processes 1
  Alias /tutorial/ /var/www/apps/tutorial/script/tutorial_fastcgi.fcgi/

  # Or, run at the root
  Alias / /var/www/tutorial/script/tutorial_fastcgi.fcgi/

But I got the same result. :-(

Thanks,