[Catalyst] Is it normal to have lots of trouble installing catalyst?

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 19:24:35 CET 2006

I'm just asking for people experiences trying to
install catalyst.  I've done a lot of web searches and
all I get is that using catalyst is as easy as having
a modern version of perl and typing "perl -MCPAN
-e'install Task::Catalyst'" but that hasn't been the
case for me.

My typical experience with installing catalyst is that
CPAN tries to install what appears to be hundreds of
prerequisites and then dies for various reasons.
Typical one of more of the required files dies but
it's hard to tell since each required file seems to
spawn off a dozen new required files and I kind of get
lost as to what is dying and for which reason.

I figured my perl was just way out of date so I tried
downloading perl5.8.8 and compiling a fresh install
from scratch.  Pretty much the same trouble.

I find I can get Catalyst installed after about a day
of messing around and liberally using force installs,
but of course I am not sure if that is so good.  I've
tried installing Catalyst on FedoraCore2, Cento4.2 and
the most recent version fo Ubuntu linux.  I also tried
installing it on Activestate Perl for Windows but gave
up completely in that one :)

I am not asking anyone to solve my problems.  I just
want to hear from you all if my experiences are just
plain strange or if this is the norm?  I understand
Catalyst is in heavy development so there are bound to
be troubles, but I just need to know if this is
something I can really start to rely on for my new
projects.  Other people clearly are, so I am just
really confused that I am having so much trouble with
this.  To be honest if I spend days trying to set it
up on my clients servers that is not going to look too
good.  So please your honest opinions.

John