[Catalyst] Is it normal to have lots of trouble installing catalyst?

apv apv at sedition.com
Wed Feb 8 06:13:12 CET 2006

On the heels of that.

All the problems being talked about are prerequisite related
and some just from the complexity of the prerequisite chains.
I had, mostly, the same problems on Darwin as I had on a shared
DreamHost account with Linux. Though there were Catalyst
induced problems just a couple versions ago from the conflicting
build stuff (I think Matt fixed it in 5.61?) which is the only build
experience some have had.

I just upgraded to 5.64 an hour ago and was forced to install
3 new modules--including Spiffy?--to upgrade to the required
version of YAML. Another 2 or 3 new requirements every other
release is playing chicken with your users. There have been
about 50 (I think) added since I first installed Catalyst just a
couple of months ago.

So, the main point for me is that Catalyst is getting big
and adding dependencies to it should not be a casual matter.
If anything, I'd love to see them trimmed down whenever
the chance presents. The cleaner and smaller the core
can stay, the better for everyone who uses Catalyst.

-Ashley