[Catalyst] Is it normal to have lots of trouble installing catalyst?

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 08:26:24 CET 2006

I don't want to start a fight with you.  I appreciate
all the hard work people have put into Catalyst and
I'd like to use it and help to improve it.

I actually came to this group with a single question
about if it was normal to have a hard time installing
Catalyst.  I asked this because all the stuff I had
read about Catalyst was that is was a breeze to
install and I was thinking I was doing something very
wrong.

As it turns out this is an itch (or a rash maybe) that
people who want to use Catalyst are having.  It's not
just a problem I am having.  So let's brainstorm as a
community to solve it or I can assure you that
Catalyst will not go beyond diehard perl users and the
already established users.

Right now I am installing Catalyst on a clean
perl5.8.7 on Ubuntu Linux and taking careful notes
about all the dependencies that are coming up and what
is causing me trouble.  When I am done with that I
will report it to the group to ponder.

> Thats not our page.

http://www.catalystframework.org/ would have the
information I was referring to.  I am not pointing
this out to be mean, just to help make you understand
why I  (and others) could be frustrated to discover
that installing catalyst can be a multiday task.  It
makes me feel bad and it could end up costing me if I
have clients that are counting on me delivering
finished products.

I'm not whining about this and when I complete my log
of troubles I will show it to the list.

--john