[Catalyst] Report on installing Catalyst

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 12:01:12 CET 2006

Okay,

Today I spent the better part installing Catalyst from
a clean perl 5.8.7 install on a clean Ubuntu 5.10
linux distro.  I tried to take a lot of notes about
what is happening.

First of all it is clear that the installation
difficulty is not with Catalyst but with dependencies.
 That probaby goes without saying after all we've
talked about, but here is a good example:

Catalyst wants LWP, which wants a bunch of modules in
the HTTP namespace but one of those files seems to
want LWP, etc on and on.

Another example would be when eventually CPAN tried to
install HTML::Parser, which wanted to compile some C
code my perl distro was missing.

I also ran into a lot of trouble installing all the
testing modules.

So it looks like the dependency chain has a lot of
trouble resolving itself since it is so deep.  After
using force install a lot I think I got Catalyst
mostly installed but I am not sure.  I am guessing
this is the experience people have been having, which
is reflected in some of the comments.

In general I found the best thing to do was to keep
running "force install Catalyst" and then running
"test Catalyst" until all the tests passed.  I think I
had to do that about 5 or 6 times.

Since this is a problem that a lot of us seem
interested in, I am wondering if there is interest in
starting a separate group (or if there is such a group
already existing) dedicated to coming up with a really
simple and clean way to get Catalyst running on
various platforms?  What I am talking about is
something to rival InstantRails
(http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl)

I'd like to do this because I don't think it's so nice
to keep hitting this particular list with this problem
anymore.  Now that we identified a problem we should
try to solve it.  What do you all think?

John