[Catalyst] Is it normal to have lots of trouble installing catalyst?

Lars Balker Rasmussen lars at balker.dk
Wed Feb 8 15:15:00 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:53:41AM -0500, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> apv wrote:
> > I just upgraded to 5.64 an hour ago and was forced to install
> > 3 new modules--including Spiffy?--to upgrade to the required
> > version of YAML. Another 2 or 3 new requirements every other
>
> Spiffy? That doesn't seem right at all. 0.55+ doesn't have SPiffy as a
> meta/makefile requirement at all.

YAML depends on Test::Base, which depends on Spiffy.  That's just for test
obviously.

> I understand things change, and usually for the good, but for a while
> now, I've been left with a lack of faith about upgrades being bug fixes
> vs. 10 new/changed features for every minor point release.

Maybe it's a little early to expect a stable/bleeding version pair.
It's still a very small developer core, so let's make sure they still
have fun ;)

And for the "we need a community effort to handle builds on all
platforms" crowd, remember that you're part of this community.  We
need people to create ports of the Catalyst modules (and their
dependency chain!) on the various platforms *AND* maintain those[1],
and people to handle the "community effort" via the wiki and elsewhere.

It's not going to happen by itself.

[1] It's all very nice to see ppm's etc pop up, but when they don't get
    updated later on, the effort seems a little wasted.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen                                        Consult::Perl

FreeBSD Catalyst maintainer