[Catalyst] DB slowness/oddness

apv apv at sedition.com
Wed Feb 15 23:18:52 CET 2006

I just had a weird experience. I started a DB based command line tool I
use to build a static website for staging. It was running super, super
slowly. I said, "Huh?" and just let it run. I have a couple huge
cronjobs
and just figured one of them was hogging DB resources.

Then I used my broswer to load a local FastCGI based Catalyst
app for the first tiem since starting Apache (the app uses the same
DB but not the same tables and zoom! The command line tool took off
to normal speed.

It seems like the FastCGI + Model::DB->connection locked up the DB
somehow? Not totally but the performance reduction in the other tool
was ~ 100x.

Anyone know/guess what happened?

Model base has: "use base qw( Class::DBI::Sweet );"

-Ashley