[Catalyst] Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication under ActivePerl 5.8.7.813

Will Hawes info at whawes.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 12:46:20 CET 2006

Carl Franks wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest a fix? The choice of OS is out of my control, but
>> changing Perl distro is feasible provided there is a decent alternative.
>> The choice seems to amount to just PXPerl, which uses cpan/cpanp for
>> module installation. This would be nice, but unfortunately there are
>> several modules (e.g. Template Toolkit) that have so far resisted all my
>> attempts to compile them on Win32.
>
> I too once thought those were my only options ;)
>
> I've since learnt it's fairly easy to compile your own perl with the
> free mingw gcc compiler.
>
> I've had very few problems installing xs modules - and for those few I
> have had problems (such as DBI and Image-Magick) I have a script that
> gets the ppm for me from the kobes cpan-mirror and installs it into my
> own perl install - with no binary compatibilty problems.
>
> The big plus of doing this, is you can create .exe's with PAR and
> redistribute them without having to get permission from ActiveState
> (whom I never heard back from when I did ask about getting
> permission).

Carl - could you post the script you mention to the list and/or wiki?
I've not been able to compile several modules and something like that
would be really helpful for Win32 users.

I've noticed from CPAN test reports that in some cases where I have had
problems, you were able to compile the same modules. Having examined the
test report I can't see any obvious differences in our configurations,
so I'm curious to know which Windows OS you use and what settings you
use in your makefile when compiling perl. If you could post this info
too it would be appreciated.