[Catalyst] Debugging in Catalyst

Jon Molin jon.molin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 17:07:10 CET 2006

Hi,

I've noticed that when doing errors in M::DBIC::modules they don't actually
say what's up and exit but rather silently ignores the problem and gives
headache along the road. I suspect this is due to evals in catalyst? If so,
is there a way do make it scream about it earlier and give me the actual
error? An example:

package MyApp::Model::DBIC::Member;

use strict;
use warnings;
use base 'DBIx::Class::Core';

OBVIOUS BUG

__PACKAGE__->table('member');
sub testing
{
  my ($self) = @_;
  print "reached it\n";
}

and then doing "MyApp::Model::DBIC::Member->testing" will say something
like:
Caught exception "Undefined subroutine &MyApp::Model::DBIC::Member::testing
called at ..."
instead of saying "retard, you have an obvious bug at line 7, fix it!".

So, is this Catalyst or DBIx? And is there a way to make it start insulting
me instead of tiptoeing around and pretending everything is just fine?

Thanks
Jon

ps I am running with -Debug and StackTrace