[Catalyst] Handling arguments with Reges vs the meaning of paths

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Fri Jan 6 14:43:52 CET 2006

Hi Bill,

* Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> [2006-01-06 07:45]:
>I'm not sure I'm clear what you are saying.  Why not just ignore
>the arguments?
>
>It's how the CGI standard works and all the other actions work.
>Why should the Regex matching be different?

No, it’s not. They’re path segments, not parameters. There is an
RFC that defines how URIs are interpreted; you should look at it
at sometime.

Among other things, returning 200 for URLs with random
discardable bits means that bots such as such search engine
spiders may go on a wild goose chase, fetching different-
looking-but-not-actually-different URLs all day long without
knowing any better.

If you want such URLs to produce a result rather than just 404,
then they should redirect to the canonical URL. I’ve written
about the considerations in

    Transparent opaque changeable permanent URLs
    <http://plasmasturm.org/log/358/>

I’d consider adherence to the design of HTTP the absolute most
basic requirement for something that calls itself a “web
application.”

Regards,