[Catalyst] Wishlist for 2006!

apv apv at sedition.com
Sun Jan 8 04:16:48 CET 2006

On Saturday, January 7, 2006, at 05:55  PM, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> Such components are never ever flexible enough to satisfy
> specific requirements that differ from their exact out-of-the-box
> setup. By the time such components were sufficiently
> parametrisable they would be insanely complex and difficult to
> configure.

> The better approach, and the one proven to work in practice, is
> to write libraries that take care of the plumbing required for
> such applications, so that writing custom apps gets then easier.
> Heck, Catalyst itself is proof of this principle at a lower
> level.
There is much truth to this, of course, but I think one of the reasons
why PHP even exists is b/c the Perl hacker mindset is a little too far
this side. If the CPAN had even one complete application for every 100
modules up there we'd be rolling in them.

I think Catalyst is really a superb jumping off place for trying to get
more
Perl applications published. I'm excited to see where all this is going.

A builder/helper that allowed you to merge two catalyst applications
(one
would have to become subservient at root levels, I suppose) might not
be impossible, or even that hard if there is no URI/namespace collision.
This seems the central challenge to what Bill is suggesting (besides
the underlying libraries standardized and clean enough to do it).

-Ashley